The help

 Assalamu aleikum dears. How are you? 🍁


In my previous blog, and in the first post of this blog I have mentioned islam being my saviour. Also, I've been kinda open about my mental health and problems that I face in my daily life due to those health issues. So how these two subjects go together?


...


Islam and mental health is becoming a popular topic. It's a very needed perspective, to look at mental health issues through the teachings of islam. And same time, there is still a huge stigma around mental health, also in the muslim Ummah. I am not a scholar and I wouldn't describe myself as a learned person especially what comes to islam. On that path, yes, but still in the beginning.. So, I can only provide my own observations and experiences.


It is sad that so many people are struggling with their mental health. It's also very human, to react in certain ways to difficult times and situations. But as the struggle takes a lot of energy, many wish to find a relief from it, and find inner peace. Many illnesses need to be treated properly, perhaps with therapy and medication, but I'm going to now focus on how practising islam can also give ease and strenght to carry on.


...


I have had different diagnoses since I was 14 years old. Severe depression, anorexia, cannabis addiction, suicidal tendencies. Personality disorder as emotionally unbalanced (I tried to find a right translation but I only found borderline personality disorder, which is different one), also bipolar disorder and then schitzofrenia have been of the given diagnoses. Latest 'label', this one self-diagnosed, and which I think could actually explain all these symptoms I've had, would be PTSD. This is a horrible sounding list, and it doesn't describe me as a person. But I can tell I have had really hard time going through my youth with all these symptoms and all the problems that I faced. I was mostly just alone with everything. And all of the time I was feeling really bad, just really, really bad.


I don't remember the exact moment I decided I want to become a muslim. There where few things and people along the way, who guided me forward by the will of Allah (swt), but it took it's time to 'sink in'. I have always believed there is God, One God who is Almighty and who has created everything there is. What I learned first about islam was that islam is the way of truth, and it gives so much information about God Himself and the life after death, and it gives a lot of guidance for daily living. And that a person can have their personal relationship with God, and there is so many people believing the same way. And in islam, it is good to be a good person, and do good deeds. Goodness, kindness, patience, piety etc.. all important virtues that didn't seem to be so appreciated otherwise. I was exhausted to keep my walls up, in a constant fight, me against the world. I wanted to just be who I am, just be myself and give room for love in my heart.


Fast forward, I was learning the basics, and was able to change my life for better, alhamdulillah. Started building the bricks on a steady surface. Honestly speaking, it wasn't an overnight change for me. Things happened slowly, but surely, sometimes falling and then getting up again. The greatness of the blessing of that guidance I received that time, has come more greater by looking it now, afterwards. I am forever thankful of that.

So that is definetly number one, on the list "how islam saved my life". 😊❤




...


The list continues.. 😊 I can't really put these in any particular order. But here's my list anyways, freely written:

- no matter where I am or what situation I'm in, I know that Allah (swt) sees me, hears me, knows what is in my heart, and I can count on Him 100%

- keeping up with the five daily prayers makes my life much easier and nourishes my imaan, and also gives that inner peace

- I can read (translation) of the Qur'an, which gives knowledge, answers and often a new perspective to look at things

- also just listening of the recitation of Qur'an gives a peaceful feel. My headphones broke, but before that, my absolute favourite thing was to sit on my balcony, listening to Qur'an (maybe reciters Omar Hisham al Arabi or Mishary al Afasy) and just feeling it. And looking at the rain, or birds, chirping their dhikr.. wonderful.

- dhikr and du'aas help me along the day

- learning ayat ul-Kursi was really a helpful thing, alhamdulillah, I highly recommend it

- Ramadan comes every year and is the best time to start on a clean slate and purify one's heart

- being a muslim means I have millions of sisters and brothers around the world. And I have gotten new friends who are beautiful inside out.

- by genuinely repenting the sins and bad deeds I may have done, Allah (swt) will forgive me and I can have a new chance

- I can ask anything from Allah (swt) and He will answer my request in one way or another


...


Sometimes there are tougher spots and sometimes, like a summer breeze, life seems easy and happy. I've been literally onto the tougher spots, cleaning my apartment. A little too spot on metaphor for my life right now.. but that's how it is, sometimes.

And cleaning is therapeutic too. 





Thank you for reading!

Aisha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good to see you

Night time thoughts

Hello hello!